Thursday, December 13, 2012

Tame Impala aka BEATLES IN DISGUISE



Tame Impala put out Lonerism this year, which my friend Corey told me about last weekend, and I see now that it is on a few critics' End of Year Lists. I haven't read anything about the album or this band as of yet, but there is one thing that is unmistakable upon first listen: the supreme Beatles influence. A Lennon-sounding vocalist, trippy lyrics, chunky bass, drums that alternate between super-straight and way too busy, and long swirling instrumental fade-outs a la "I Want You". Below are some brief connections.

I think "Apocalypse Dreams" got left on the cutting room floor during the Abbey Road sessions.



And "Mind Mischief" certainly must be a lost Magical Mystery Tour track. Listen to those drums!

No comments:

Post a Comment