Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Back to the Feature

One of the great things about hip hop music is the way good rap lyrics reveal themselves over time. I don't mean here that they get deeper or more emotionally resonant the more you listen to them (although many do). I'm referring to what Jay-Z calls "Easter egg" lyrics: verses so packed with wordplay, cultural reference, and multiple meanings that a listener has to listen repeatedly to uncover all the clues to unpack the full meaning. You know, the way you go hunting for Easter eggs on Easter. I guess. I've never done that. But my students tell me it's fun!

I like rap mixtapes a lot because they are full of two of the things that make hip hop music so unique: beats and lyrics. Songs on mixtapes are usually free of commerical pressure; artists don't need to fill a song with catchy hooks or appeal to broad listenership. That often frees MCs and producers up to get pretty creative. You don't often hear big singles off of mixtapes, but watching an interview with Young Chris reminded me that Drake's "Best I Ever Had" was a huge single off a mixtape that helped launch Drake's career. (Lil' Wayne did the rest.) Listen to Drake's So Far Gone tape here.

Anyway, so I went back and listened to some mixtapes recently and found a whole bunch of "Easter eggs" on Wale's Back to the Feature. Ten seconds into the song "Cyphr", Young Chris name-drops Marlo Stanfield from The Wire. I like the biographical reference here, since Wale is from the DC/Baltimore region where The Wire takes place. More notably, he is cousin to an actor who plays a prominent role on the show. Post the actor's name and his character to win a mix CD of songs from or inspired by this blog. And thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. Dig that mixtape! Hadn't listened to it awhile, but I'm playing it now and just caught that reference for the first time too. Wale's cousin is Gbenga Akinnagbe, who played Chris, Marlo's friend and top henchman (alongside Snoop, everyone's favorite).

    And check this out! The woman on the left is my friend Jill! I was so jealous when I saw this.
    http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-ash1/v165/34/94/3104657/n3104657_32481979_886.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Send me your address at wecheckrecords@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete