Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Mighty Narrow at the Hairpin

Last Saturday night, I had my debut DJ gig, spinning under the alias DJ Mighty Narrow. The crowd at the Hairpin Arts Center was diverse, pretty representative of Logan Square (where it's been, where it is, and ... where it's headed). The music selection was diverse as well. And even though I was called a guerito and, I think, a white boy, the word in there is that people were feeling the music. Below is a taste of some of the tunes I played. Glad I heard this one before I ever saw this video. Wow. For more context on the DJ name, click here and here. The choice was mostly wordplay, as I have no relation to Trinidad or Trinidadian music whatsoever. I like how the name can be read as either a juxtaposition between two words or as a two-word phrase with one word qualifying the other. Either way, I wonder what kind of reaction I'll get the first time I play at a party with some real calypso heads.

1 comment:

  1. That is an amazing video.

    Congrats on the DJ gig! I'm bummed I was out of town for it. Maybe there'll be another this summer?

    ReplyDelete