Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Wayne Shorter Remixed

Got the chance to see Wayne Shorter and his quartet at the Detroit Jazz Festival over Labor Day. He's played with the group for over the last decade. These guys are crazy, especially Brian Blade on drums (someone who I'd wanted to see live for years).

Soon after the set, it was recommended I check out Native Dancer, an album of Shorter's from 1974 in collaboration with Milton Nascimento. I immediately fell in love with the first cut:



I immediately got the idea that I'd try to take the 5/4 vocal and sax melody and rearrange it into 4/4. I did it. Not sure to what extent I was successful. Here it is.



Then I was looking up some info for this blogpost and I saw that Earth, Wind, and Fire covered "Ponta de Areia" in 1977. Check this out!




1 comment:

  1. This is the first time I had heard Milton Nascimento, so I really enjoyed all three of these tracks. I like the little stutter you put on the saxophone phrase at the end of the remix.

    On a semi-related note, I only recently listened to that Dilla album you gave me and can totally see that as an influence here.

    That EWF painting is fucking majestic as all hell.

    ReplyDelete